Exams are nearing again. That means more blogging! Anything to escape studies.
1. Did I mention I love our new hostel? It’s been almost an year since we moved here. The rooms are spacious and the hostel has all the facilities expected from an Indian Institute. It’s spread out over a large area as opposed to the having many storeys. I was really disappointed with the outer colour at first, but it grew on me. Almost all students (around 700) including the girls are currently staying here. Overall, a major improvement over the dark and shabby APC Roy Boys’ Hostel.
I visited our old hostel few days back, out of curiosity. It’s still empty and has become a home for birds and squirrels. The courtyard is overgrown and the rooms are full of dead leaves from nearby trees, a perfect setting for a horror movie. I wouldn’t have dared to enter without company.
Whatever the present state, that place had some wonderful memories. Years from now, it will probably be the hostel, when we remember our college days. The new one is more like a hotel, but hey, I’m not complaining!
2. Last November a friend and I were feeling that our tastes in music were stagnating. We were growing tired of listening to the same songs over and over again. So we undertook a challenge that we found on the internet. We had to compress our music collections and put it away for an year. We weren’t allowed to listen to any of our favorite bands or songs. Of course some bands like Pink Floyd and GnR are inescapable in a hostel environment since they’re on speakers somewhere or the other. But I haven’t heard any Beatles, S&G, Cohen, etc etc for almost an year. The challenge expires on 20th November and I’m looking forward to that dearly.
The challenge worked pretty well though. I have been exploring new genres, and have a whole new set of bands and songs that I love now. I might write a post about them soon.
3. I have a hard time sticking to any particular task. Last new year’s day, I made a resolution to workout 5 days per week. I continued for 2 months (which, by the way, is a personal record) and managed to lose a considerable amount of weight. But then I took a break that lasted 6 months, and now I’m back to square one, thanks to the daily burgers and butterscotch smoothies. Anyway, I started the old routine again few days back, and this time for every day of missed exercise, I punish myself with a no-laptop day. Wish me luck!
4. There’s this blog I’ve been reading which keeps blowing my mind. The writer manages to convert all her mundane activities into beautiful pieces of text. I never thought someone writing about morning tea could give me goosebumps. Unfortunately, I don’t think she has many readers. She’s a medical student, but could’ve easily been a writer.
5. Speaking of good literature, here’s something I found on the net:
Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle.
Everything I do is stitched with its color.
– W. S. Mervin
6. My parents moved back to Kolkata! Feels so nice to live in our own home for once. We’ve been living in rented flats for over 15 years. Now I can finally personalize my own room. You know, with paint, posters, wallpapers, etc.
7. I was hyped about the movie ‘Interstellar’ for a while. Unfortunately it released this week (while I’m at home), and couldn’t go with my friends. So I went down to South City Mall today, on my own, only to find that the tickets were sold out. I’m so pissed off. I guess I’ll watch it later on the internet.